Last week’s study tip encouraged us to consider what a verse or passage teaches us about God. This week, we’ll look at the flip side and look at what Scripture teaches us about ourselves. I’ve heard it said that God’s word is a mirror that reveals our true selves. In Hebrews 4:12, it says that God’s word is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of our hearts.
Let’s just use those verses in Hebrews 4:12-13 for our examples.
For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (13) And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.
Here are some of the things we can learn-
1. We are made up of the physical and spiritual.
2. We have hidden motives
3. No one is able to hide himself or his motives from God.
4. We must give account to God.
Take it a step further and make it personal rather than general-
1. I am made up of the physical and spiritual.
2. I have hidden motives
3. I am not able to hide myself or my motives from God.
4. I must give account to God.
Next week we’ll consider what we do in light of those things.