I’ve begun a long, slow process of getting my Bible study notes in the computer rather than just in scattered notebooks. (I know- good luck with that.) I wanted to share some notes from Luke 10 on following Jesus.
1.) to accept as authority; obey
2.) to copy after; imitate
3.) to engage as a calling or a way of life
Do I truly follow Jesus? Do I accept His authority? Do I watch Him carefully so I can imitate Him? Is this my way of life or just another activity?
To be a Follower means
1.) to be in the service of another
2.) to hold to the opinions or teachings of another
3.) to imitate another
Do I serve Jesus- or my own idea of what Jesus ‘needs’? Do I hold to His teachings on everything, not just the ones I like, or the ones that are easy? Could someone else recognize who I’m imitating?
Following Jesus means
1. Personal sacrifice – I give up MY agenda.
2. Death – Figuratively for sure, and following may require physical death as well.
3. Commitment with no shame – Shame implies I don’t really believe all I say I do about Jesus. He’s not really Lord.
4. Great things revealed to the obedient – He calls us His friends and opens Himself up to an intimate relationship.
5. God expects us to follow Jesus – This is the only expectation God has for me. This is how I please Him.
This is not something to be taken lightly or given mere lip service. Jesus said take up your cross, not your picnic basket, but He doesn’t ask anything that He didn’t do Himself.