Jesus asked this rhetorical question to His disciples. In those few words, it shows us several things about Christ, and about us as human beings.
1. He is sovereign. He chose. Judas didn't volunteer, or manage to get an appointment to the group. Jesus engineered this from the beginning.
2. He is omniscient. Judas' true intentions were never hidden. Jesus was not caught off guard by his betrayal.
3. He does things we don't understand. It makes no sense to us to allow an enemy into the inner circle, but Jesus did exactly that.
4. He is not threatened by the presence of evil. He is not even distracted by it.
5. It is possible for a man to sit in the very presence of Jesus, hear His word preached directly from His mouth, and remain unchanged. Such is the depth of man's depravity.
As His followers, we must stay focused on what Jesus has given us to do. Even when we don't understand His plan, remember that He has one. And His purposes will be accomplished. Even evil in our midst cannot derail us … unless we let it.