- Haggai has two short chapters containing a total of 5 messages. Each is very specifically dated, giving the book natural divisions. What is the theme or summary of each message?
- What does Haggai say about the temple? About the glory of God? (Some believe Haggai may have seen Solomon's temple. Not only would this make him a very old prophet, but it adds credibility and power to his words.)
- Are his messages more denunciation and correction, or encouragement, or a mixture?
- What visions does he see? What interpretations are offered?
- Zechariah focuses heavily on the coming kingdom. How does that serve to encourage the contemporary Jews and their leaders?
- Key words for the book include "that day/ Day of the Lord". What happens on "that day"?
- What does Zechariah say about Messiah and His kingdom? How does Israel fit into the kingdom? Why was this message so critical to the returning remnant?
What encouragement do these books offer for us when facing a difficult task?