This week's tip is a short one because the books themselves are short. 2 & 3 John are much more like our idea of a letter. Each is clearly addressed to someone the apostle knows and for whom he has warm personal regard. The apostle's great concern is that these young churches are vigilant in identifying and rejecting false teaching.
- To whom is 2 John addressed?
- What warnings or instructions does John give?
- In 2 John, watch for these key words – commandment, doctrine and abide. How do those key words connect to John's purpose for writing?
- In 3 John, the letter is addressed to a specific person. Who is it and what can you tell about him?
- There are two other men mentioned in the letter. Who are they and what does John say about them?