(Enjoy this post from the archives with my thanks for your kind understanding.)
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God concerning you. 1 Thessalonians 5:9-10
God’s will for us is to rejoice, pray and give thanks. In everything. About everything. We have a day set aside for giving thanks coming up in just a few weeks. So what are TEN things you’ve never thanked God for? Here are mine in no particular order.
1. My alarm clock. I have the privilege of being able to determine when I get up. Sure, I have a schedule (I’ve already thanked God for that one) but it’s largely one of my making.
2. My running shoes. I can run without pain.
3. My desk light. I don’t have to wait for the sun to come up to work, and I can work in the evenings, too.
4. Toothpaste. How many people in the world don’t even have a toothbrush, much less toothpaste?
5. Color. God could have made everything gray, but He didn’t.
6. People who let me put them on my speed dial. (I’ve been very thankful for them many times, but never as this unique group.)
7. My Facebook friends. It’s a blessing keeping up with everybody.
8. Getting to teach. At church and at home. I enjoy it more than my students.
9. My glasses. Even if they are bifocals.
10. Having folks read what I write. That’s you.
These may seem silly or inconsequential, but God blesses us every day with a multitude of favors. In the midst of all the big stuff He does for us like granting us salvation, life, and family, He fills in the little tiny spaces of our lives with little reminders of His grace. Rejoice!